Rules and Regulations
YMF 2024 is an In-person Competition only. The following rules have been established to ensure fairness for all participants. Please read them carefully before applying to participate in the Festival. Failure to comply with any of the rules may result in the performance being judged as non-competitive, or the participant being disqualified.
- The Festival is open to amateurs only. An amateur is defined as an individual whose livelihood is not dependent on the profession of music and who has not received remuneration for the practice of music as a major source of his/her income.
- No age limit is imposed, except where indicated. In such cases, the participant's age as of January 1, 2024 will be considered. Classes designated as “Open” are offered to participants of all ages, within the guidelines noted for those particular classes.
- Participants entering an age-based class must enter the class with an age limit above their own age.
- For all classes where an age requirement is stated, participants should be prepared to present a proof-of-age document at the time of the competition. Such a document must be government certified such as a health card, passport, or birth certificate. A photo of the document is acceptable.
- Students studying with a member of the Jury Panel during the Festival year are not eligible to enter the classes that their teacher is adjudicating for.
- Participants who have placed First in any class in previous years are NOT eligible to compete in the same class again except Recital Class Open (P-RL-OP or V-RL-OP).
- Past winner of the following awards can re-enter YMF under certain conditions:
- Winner of Best of Recital (Violin or Piano) can re-enter ONLY in a higher age-group;
- Winner of Best of Bach, Best of Chopin and Best of Sonata can re-enter at a higher RCM level or ARCT.